Our Summer Program at Gaithersburg Library
We held a program at Gaithersburg Library this summer from August 14-18. We worked with 25 students from a variety of elementary and middle schools across Maryland, D.C., and Virginia. We had four student writing instructors working with students in group settings and one-on-one.
Highlights of the Week
1. Exploring the library and finding images and words around the space to then incorporate into the students' stories
2. Sharing in groups and giving feedback
3. Writing stories based on headlines in 2023
4. Crafting letters to leaders based on issues students were passionate about. In these letters, students weaved in memories and personal experiences associated with whatever current event or social issue they chose
5. Creating stories inspired by the New York Times Year in Pictures
"Both my kids (7 years old and 10 years old) loved this writing workshop. Tara and her team are amazing with kids. They encouraged all the kids to participate in group discussions and made writing so much fun with many different activities. My kids were very excited to go to the writing workshop everyday."